Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Authors I'm Thankful For
1) William Shakespeare - I don't think I can even think about why I love literature without mentioning Shakespeare. I am so thankful for his contributions to English Literature, which remain as beautiful and relevant today as they were when first written and performed all those years ago.

2) Sylvia Plath - Plath always makes me feel like it's okay not to be so cheerful and positive all the time, because I'm not - and life's not. Her work has a huge dose of reality in it, but it's a kind of reality not normally found in poetry, and I'm so thankful for the stark truth that came from this woman. 

3) Emily Dickinson - For some of my favourite poems. 

4) Allen Ginsberg - Howl gets under my skin every time I read it and will always be one of my favourite things to read. I think he was a great man and a great thinker as well as a wonderful writer, his soul seems to permeate his words, and it's always wonderful to find something so thought provoking.

5) Charles Bukowski - For being the vulgar, male version of Plath and making me feel like less of a loner. I find so many facets of my own personality reflected in Bukowski's Hank Chinaski  I always feel a little less alone with one of his books in hand. Picking up a new one is like being reintroduced to an old friend. 

6) Chuck Palahniuk - For getting me into a whole new, wonderful, darkly satirical, humorous  romantic genre of books. I'll be reading his books as long as I'm alive and  don't think he will ever disappoint me. I am Jacks grateful smile.

7) Jane Austen - She and a handful of other women paved the way for mainstream female authors and I'm extremely thankful for that, she also creates beautiful romance that is so readable I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone these days who hasn't at least heard of her work. 

8) Emily Bronte - Again, for her following her dreams and publishing work as a woman in her time. And for creating the best love story ever written.

9) Frank L. Baum - For Dorothy Gale, who I will forever associate with my childhood, and wonderful memories with my mum, who gave me ruby slippers.

10) Roald Dahl - Again, for my childhood - and probably the reason I love to read so much. My brother and I would be read a Dahl story every night before bed and I think it's what gave me my enthusiasm for books, his stories are still so magical to me. 

19 comments:

  1. I'm not big on poetry, but I LOVE Emily Dickinson! Such a great list. Jane Austen, Emily Bronte (even though I like Charlotte better), Frank L Baum, Roald Dahl- wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely a Emily girl! (both Dickinson and Bronte haha) Thank you

      Delete
  2. Great list!Roald Dahl completely slipped my mind which is weird because I STILL love Matilda!

    Thanks for Stopping by Take Me Away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His books were a huge part of my childhood, Matilda is the best! Thanks you :)

      Delete
  3. I did my little quirky smile when I saw Emily Dickinson and Jane Austen..they should be on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ach Shakespeare! Can't believe I forgot him. I love your choices of Jane Austen and Chuck Palahniuk as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Austen classics are really more readable than most and I love her for that. Roald Dahl makes awesome children's literature, he's funny, crazy, gross, and just weirdly fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are, they're also still relevant which is amazing when you think about the time her novels have spanned, agreed!

      Delete
  6. I also am thankful for Austen and Dahl this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Dickinson's poems, too! So morbid, and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overall I'm thankful for Shakespeare...but I just finished a six-day lesson plan on Romeo and Juliet yesterday, so I'm not feelin' the love for him much at the moment. ;) Haha. And I really need to read Roald Dahl's books. Somehow I missed out on them as a child! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, yeah I can see how you were ready to leave him out haha, they're great - enjoyable as an adult too, I still find them so funny!

      Delete
  9. Excellent list, I had to include Shakespeare on mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thankful for Jane Austen, too :) Pride and Prejudice is deservedly popular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow what a great list! I'm also thankful for Shakespeare, Austen, Dickinson & Bronte :) Thanks for sharing & for stopping by my post earlier. New follower via GFC!

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...