Monday

Words are beautiful...

...but restricted. They're very masculine, with a compact frame. But voice is over the dark, the place where there's nothing to hang on: it comes from a part of yourself that simply knows, expresses itself, and is.”
- Jeff Buckley.

I've though about doing a poetry post for a while but I thought this would be a nice take on something a little different. This quote best describes the way music can make me feel, words are so beautiful to me, and if I fall in love with a band or a singer it's usually because I find something that really speaks to me in the words they're singing. Music is poetry too, and some of it can be so intense; a piece of music can leave me breathless  shaking and in tears, for example, when I hear the opening synth to The Who's Baba O' Riley, it literally feels like my veins are filled with an electric hum. When I listen to Led Zeppelin's Ten Years Gone or Joshua Radin's No Envy No Fear I am filled with such sadness I can barely describe. Having these words animated in the form of music no doubt makes them more lovely and easier to take to heart, but the words are just as beautiful on their own. For years now I've kept a notebook that I write down lovely things in. They could be lyrics, poems, phrases from books, movie quotes...anything, I just like to keep them to read occasionally and these are some of the things written in there that originally come from music.

I realize this is all a little chaotic, but it seemed like a better idea than listing quote after quote...so take a look, see which phrases catch your eye, Google them, find the song and listen to it; and see if it makes you feel any differently having read the words in your mind without music to accompany them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...